There are many health benefits to practicing yoga, but did you know that it could also help you snag a date, too? If you’re a heterosexual male, the odds are definitely in your favor. If you’ve been to any yoga class in the country you know that women make up the majority of any class. But it isn’t only the sheer number of women in a yoga class that make you, the lone male, more attractive. It’s actually more about the qualities of your personality that brought you to the class in the first place.
As more men are hitting up local yoga classes, we’re seeing a new breed of yogi — the brogi (a combination of “bro” and “yogi”). What once was considered an exclusive “woman’s club” in the US, yoga classes have seen an healthy uptick in attendance by men. These men are are interested in the fitness and spiritual aspects of yoga, with the added benefit of getting a date out of it, too. And it seems that the modern woman is taking note.
Here are a few reasons why women find men who do yoga irresistible:
- Guys who are into yoga tend to be introspective. These men are interested in getting in touch with spirituality, and that often involves self-exploration and internal dialogue with oneself. What makes this quality so appealing is that he’s able to better understand his own mental processes and feelings — and hers as well.
- Guys who are into yoga are interested in being physically and spiritually fit. Yoga, though not a fast-moving, competitive workout, isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s a total mind-body workout that combines strengthening, stretching, deep breathing and meditation. It’s no surprise that women are attracted to fit men, but what makes the brogi so attractive is that he’s proactive about his well-being, too. The logic here is: “if he’s able to take care of himself, he is capable of taking care of me.”
- Guys who are into yoga tend to be confident. It isn’t likely that he’s practicing yoga because all his buddies are all doing it, too. The majority of single men who enter a yoga class go in on their own, and that takes guts. Confidence stems from being secure with yourself and it takes confidence to be direct, and women love that.
- Guys who are into yoga tend to have a high capacity for emotional intimacy. “Their capacity for emotional intimacy goes up,” said Lindsay Chrisler, dating expert, of male yogis. “Women sense that, even if they don’t know that that’s what they’re attracted to. They might be attracted to the job or the looks, but what they’re really attracted to is the man’s capacity to pay attention to her… in a way that makes them feel good,” she said. Basically, women don’t want to guess how you feel because they don’t want to feel uncertain in the relationship.
- Guys who are into yoga tend to be happier people. Studies have shown that regular meditation increases daily experiences of positive emotions, which, in turn, produces increased mindfulness, purpose in life, social support and decreased illness symptoms. And we all know happiness loves company.
Now hit the yoga mats, future brogis. If not for the health and spiritual benefits, do it for ladies you’ll meet there.